Philanthropy and the digital revolution
Time & Location
About the Event
Preparing for the digital transition:18 February 2021: 13.00 - 15.30 UTC - Online Plenary - Open to all
WINGS member workshops: 22 February 22, 24 and March 2,5
Together we will examine the role of philanthropy in preparing for the digital transition and mediating society’s relationship with this transition. Collectively, we will imagine a new future in which values and rights are at the heart of technology and the digital transition embraces inclusivity, data rights, and ethical governance. We are in danger of pursuing technological advances at the cost of these things, and leaving behind communities without the access and skills to benefit from the digital revolution. This is the beginning of a new conversation about how to have a healthy digital society, and what the specific role of philanthropy is within this.
An exciting keynote speaker will kick off proceedings, helping us imagine the possible futures that lie ahead, in which digital transition prioritises people, their rights and our values.
This will be followed by a diverse panel to dive deeper into some of the key challenges and opportunities new technology presents for pursuing a just and equitable world. We will explore the specific role for philanthropy within this, and think through strategies and practices to help us adopt this. Stay tuned to find out more.
- Examine the specific added value of philanthropy in new technology, and lay out the pathways to achieving this.
- Explore how philanthropy might translate practices and approaches to funding in rights and justice to funding in digital rights and justice.
- Imagine a new voice for philanthropy in empowering citizens within the mechanisms of technology governance that ensures the citizens’ rights are at the heart of technological innovation.
- Explore the practical steps that must be taken to ensure the digital transition is inclusive and accessible to all.
WINGS member workshops
Join a small group of peers to take the key messages of the plenary session and dive deeper into exploring your own role, and that of your organization, in pursuing a just digital transition.
We will be in touch with WINGS members in early October with details of our exclusive small group workshops. Workshop dates:
- 22 February: 16.00 - 17.30 UTC
- 24 February: 03.00 - 04.30 UTC
- 2 March: 03.00 - 04.30 UTC
- 5 March: 16.00 - 17.30 UTC