Time & Location
20 May 2021, 13:00 – 14:30
About the Event
Philanthropy and the New Economy
20 May 2021: 14.30 UTC - Online Plenary - Open to all
In the midst of multiple global crises - environmental collapse, rising inequality, as well as the pandemic - our reliance on flawed economic models and thinking has come into question. Whether this is the pursuit of profit at the expense of environmental or human rights costs; relying on GDP as a decisive indicator of economic success; and unregulated economic growth by a small number of global companies.
At the same time, we are seeing an emergence of new and innovative economic models that blend the boundary between nonprofit and for-profit organisations; integrate social value as part of core business; or find new and exciting models for a green economy. At this critical juncture, which economic models might serve society and the environment better? And what is the role of philanthropy in imagining and implementing them?
On 20th May, as part of #WINGSForum2021, we will bring together a diverse group of expert speakers to begin this journey of exploring new economic models and thinking, and how philanthropic organisations can help push this agenda forward.
- Explore the key challenges and opportunities we must address in the 21st Century, including existential threats like the climate crisis.
- Examine what some of the most significant new emerging economic models are.
- Examine the potential of embracing new economic models, and consider the role of philanthropy in implementing these.
WINGS member workshops
Join a small group of peers to take the key messages of the plenary session and dive deeper into exploring your own role, and that of your organization, in pursuing new economic models.
Dates and times of workshops
- 16.00 - 17.30 UTC, 24th May - facilitator: Chris Worman
- 06.00 - 07.30 UTC, 25th May, - facilitator: Dr. Annelotte Walsh
- 16.00 - 17.30 UTC, 26th May - facilitator: Barbara Ibrahim